[thelist] hallo? And a discussion ...

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Oct 16 17:53:39 CDT 2000

> Just as an example related to this, the network connection
> could easily be
> used to provide closed captioning style services for people
> who are deaf or
> hard of hearing, to the point where the announcer commentary could be
> captioned on the fan's palm pilot or laptop (or a rented
> pad-like device
> for those without their own).  The reverse could even be
> implemented, with
> the spoken play-by-play fed through headphones for blind fans
> who still
> want the "I'm at the game" feeling (like one of my friends'
> father who is
> blind yet has season tickets to the Ottawa Senators because
> he loves the
> "game experience", but has to bring a walkman and pick up the
> crappy AM
> radio feed to hear what's going on).

This would be a *beautiful* way to mix the two, and man, I would love to
develop for that. I fear it won't happen though, because experience has
shown me that the truly elegant and useful ideas are the ones that don't
sell advertising. It sucks, I know.

> them and implement them without having greed and marketing as
> the primary
> motive.

What other reason is there? ;)

(just being cynical)