[thelist] Images

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Wed Oct 18 14:11:05 CDT 2000

At 02:45 PM 10/18/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Since I'm not an image guru, what is the most compact format?

This might sound lame, but it depends on the image. =)

I stick to GIF files in general, for any kind of tabled elements and
multi-image layouts, and use JPEGs for stand-alone images.  Other than
general size issues, the reason for using GIFs is also that you can fix the
palette.  Using 24-bit colour images leaves you at the mercy of the user's
video card driver a little too much for multi-image layouts, and you often
get visible borders and minor variations in colour even if you used the
same colour in your paint program.

Also, JPEG offers a surprising amount of flexibility when you compress it,
but the highest compression does look, well, crappy..  There are some good
tutorials on Webmonkey on choosing colours and image formats..  I wish I
wasn't so lazy, I'd go find the link. =)

--- -- -
Seb Barre - sebastien at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222