[thelist] Browser testing on Windows 98 and Linux (Unix)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 19 11:46:42 CDT 2000

> From: John Loy <jml4n at virginia.edu>

[...]
> Linux. When I arrived, the PC already had Internet Explorer 5 on it
> and Communicator 4.5. I've had no trouble installing legacy versions
> of Netscape and several other popular browsers on the PC, but can't
> seem to install older IEs. Is this because Internet Explorer is so
> tightly integrated with Windows 98? At the last design firm I worked

yes... you cannot have multiple versions of IE (3,4,5) running on a single
windows install... you have to have multiple installs, or something... if you
had IE4, you could have upgraded to IE5, leaving an emulator version of IE4
on the machine...

[...]
> evoltian out there help me out? Also, I was wondering if there are
> any browsers for Unix and Unix clones other than Netscape Navigator
> and Lynx (please forgive my ignorance [soon to be knowledge]).

some references:

evolt.org browser archive:
    http://browsers.evolt.org/

Browser testing list