[thelist] IE4 and IE5

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Oct 19 18:53:31 CDT 2000

ppk,

> You'll
> need to reinstall Windows without IE, then install IE4. As far as I know,
> it is impossible to uninstall IE5 (though I once saw a link on the
Netscape
> site 'Uninstall Explorer').

	Actually, you *can* uninstall IE5 (see
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q217/3/44.asp), the
exception being, AFAIK, if IE5 was the version installed as part of the OS
(for instance Win2K installs IE 5.01 when you install the OS). If memory
serves me, Win98 came loaded with IE 4.01, probably SP1.

> It used to be possible. I'm one of the lucky people who runs IE3, 4 and 5
> on one computer. Almost two years ago I downloaded a beta of IE5, which
> then had the option 'Keep IE4' and I kept a true, real IE4. I never
> downloaded any more Explorers since, so I still have both of them. As to
> IE3, install a 16bits version and ignore Windows' moanings
> during the process.

	IE5 beta used compatibility mode, too. But what is the value of
testing a page in IE5 beta, or 16-bit IE3 (especially a semi-hacked
installation)? If your interest is in previewing pages in browser
configurations that approximate those of your visitors, you're not likely to
duplicate that using beta and 16-bit versions.

James Aylard