[thelist] printing out a webpage that doesn't cut off the last inch to the right

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu Oct 19 18:58:57 CDT 2000

> i have an idea... post a .gif with every pixel shown and count 'em off
> by 5s... then ask a few of us to print 'em out... i can't find my copy
> of ScreenRuler, or i'd just whip one up for you...

I have one ready - posted with my original request on webdesign-l
http://www.sam-i-am.com/misc/testsuite/measuring/rulers2.html
(print only the first page - it may want to print 2)

> > I'm using the same OS, same browsers, same print media, and yet I
> > measure a printable area (width) of 671 pixels give or take a few.
> >
> > What are the other variables?
> > It must be a print resolution issue?
>
> margins?  i like fatter margins...

That would do it.
For testing / baseline purposes the default margins are what matter
(this is in the less than ideal world where a fixed width design has
been specified)

Sam