[thelist] Mac to IIS: FTP hell

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sat Oct 21 21:13:05 CDT 2000

The ongoing saga:

I have to move this big-ass site (approx 3,000 pages, I'm told) from
an old Mac (WebSTAR) server to a new NT (IIS) server.

Well, I figure, considering the two different systems, FTP is good enough.

Wrong. FTP is not good.  I can't really move more than one weensie
little directory before my FTP program (Fetch) chokes.  Doesn't
matter what kind of connection I have.  I'm not sure using a better
FTP program (Anarchie) is going to help me all that much.  Plus I'm
really lazy about learning new software.

I think it's the server that's making things difficult.

So this project is taking hours, days.

Is there a better way to do this?  If not, okay.  I just don't want
to be doing this crazy slow transfer if there is a better way.

Erika
(hoping for, but not expecting, the simple answer that will
simultaniously make her feel like an idiot and solve all her
problems.)
erika at seastorm.com