[thelist] .htaccess/.htpasswd - how?

Hugh Blair hblair at bigfoot.com
Mon Oct 23 21:14:17 CDT 2000

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use .htaccess and .htpasswd to control the
users that can access a directory on a new server.  No
matter what I try, I can't get it to work. Is it some error
on my part or is it an issue of server-setup?

Server provider says my home page is:  /www/timesfour/
for example, they say the path to my cgi-bin directory is:
/www/timesfour/cgi-bin

In /www/timesfour/memberss/ I've placed the ".htaccess" file:
-------------------------
AuthUserFile /www/timesfour/memberss/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName TimesFour Members Area
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>
-------------------------
In /www/timesfour/memberss/ I've placed the ".htpasswd" file:
I've also tried: /home/timesfour/memberss
/home/www/timesfour/memberss/
/www/home/timesfour/memberss/
-------------------------
Hugh:iS4z1yQWXQ2dx
admin:gjHkKzX5WI4yE
-------------------------

Now when I try to access:
http://216.36.200.111/memberss/  I get a 500 "Internal Server Error"
http://216.36.200.111/memberss/index.html  does the same thing.

Now what?  I'm stumped.  Next idea?

BTW, here's a link to a "htpasswd.pl", a script that will create the
".htpasswd" file with users and encrypted passwords, eliminating the
need to telnet in to add users.
http://home.xnet.com/~efflandt/pub/

-Hugh
hblair at bigfoot.com