[thelist] CGI cart vs PHP cart

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Wed Oct 25 13:45:09 CDT 2000

At 11:06 AM 10/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> > this from scratch. So the question is : Which is better(and
> > why) CGI or PHP?
> >

>by the by, php *is* CGI (Common Gateway Interface), just all fancy-schmancy
>implementation of it. The difference is where CGI is the process of the web
>server executing a process (any executable program, written in any language)
>and communicating with it through stdin and stdout (i.e. the command line
>and print statements, respectively), php, ASP, CF and the like bring the
>execution closer to the web server process (by gettin all up in the web
>server's business), taking out some of the overhead of CGI (among other
>stuff, but I'm waving my hands a little here).

Another thing to consider is that PHP has session management and
persistence features built in.  If you're working with straight CGI
scripts, you'd have to implement the page-to-page persistence (kinda
important with shopping carts) on your own, since the script gets called
from scratch everytime you request another web page.

--- -- -
Seb Barre - sebastien at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222