[thelist] Adding apps to IE's Edit With... button list - any easier way?

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 07:33:09 CST 2000

Any comments on the following Windows registry hack before I wrap it in TIP
tags?

The Web developers accessories package for IE5.5 adds a toolbar button for
"Edit with", but I could find no obvious way to add to or remove items from
the drop-down list.

Q. Is there a simpler/safer way to do this than what follows?

I wanted to add Dreamweaver to the list.

I ferreted around in the registry and successfully adapting what I found
there I can now take any page I'm looking at in IE and open it directly into
Dreamweaver, Homesite or Netscape... the benefits being obvious.

Here are the relevant keys - the pattern should be self-evident, but I
include all three below because they are rather useful. (DISCLAIMER: I take
absolutely no responsibility for anything ever... don't mess with your
registry unless you're sure... etc. etc.)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\homesite4.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\homesite4.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\homesite4.exe\shell]
"FriendlyCache"="homesite4"
"FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,14,b4,bd,70

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\homesite4.exe\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\homesite4.exe\shell\edit\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\HomeSite4\\homesite4.exe \"%1\""

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\Dreamweaver.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Dreamweaver.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Dreamweaver.exe\shell]
"FriendlyCache"="Dreamweaver"
"FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,14,b4,bd,70

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Dreamweaver.exe\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Dreamweaver.exe\shell\edit\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Macromedia\\Dreamweaver 3\\Dreamweaver.exe \"%1\""

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\Netscape.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Netscape.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Netscape.exe\shell]
"FriendlyCache"="Netscape"
"FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,14,b4,bd,70

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Netscape.exe\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Netscape.exe\shell\edit\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Netscape\\Communicator\\Program\\netscape.exe \"%1\""

HTH

George Dillon