[thelist] Unix and NT? Confusion? What? Help!!!

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Mon Oct 30 14:10:46 CST 2000

At 11:52 AM 10/30/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>As I've mentioned previously, I was forced for reasons of cost to
>migrate a site from Linux/Apache to NT4/IIS.
>
>I'm an idiot when it comes to NT Server; without shell access I'm
>terribly crippled.
>
>While I realize that it's not the responsibility of the admins to
>educate me, even getting the most basic information (what books to buy,
>how does this perl script work on YOUR server) has been like pulling
>teeth.
>
>Me:  "How do you..."
>Admin:  [silence]
>Me:  "Hello...?"
>Admin:  "What do you mean?"
>
>Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so how do I make my life
>easier without spending ungodly amounts of money that I don't have for
>a development server at my site (which would defeat the purpose of
>having switched hosting providers in the first place)?
>
>I'm getting more and more frustrated by the day.  Any advice would be
>welcome.

Was this (switching providers) your decision or the decision of a
higher-up?  If it was yours, reconsider it. =)  Otherwise, be sure to bring
up your frustrations and lost productivity to your superiors..

The real cost of something like a website includes employee
productivity.  Lots of people forget that.  If you're paying 10% less for
your hosting (or whatever) but it takes you twice as long to get stuff
done, that doesn't sound like a savings to me..

just my two cents..  doesn't help your situation much, but oh well. =)

--- -- -
Seb Barre - sebastien at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222