[thelist] Session variables vs. the Back button

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Mon Oct 30 14:21:10 CST 2000

When I restore form field values from session variables, the use of the
browser's Back button poses problems.  This is not a "How do I disable
the Back button" question, but rather, "How do I accommodate it?"  I'm
using ColdFusion, but the same applies to ASP, etc.

Given: Page X has a form with a text field and a submit button.

Scenario:
1. User visits Page X.
2. Users enters "ABC" in the text field.
3. User submits form.  (The form's action page saves the text field
value "ABC" in a session variable.)
4. User visits other pages.
5. User navigates to Page X via a hyperlink.  (The text field value
"ABC" is restored from the session variable.)
6. User changes text field value to "DEF".
7. User submits form.  (The form's action page saves the text field
value "DEF" in a session variable.)
8. User clicks on browser's Back button.  (The text field value is shown
as "ABC", although you'd like it to be "DEF".)

Is there any way I can get that session variable value "DEF" to be used?

Thanks.
-David