[thelist] Mac caching problem?

Miraz Jordan miraz at firstbite.co.nz
Fri Nov 3 23:49:15 CST 2000

I've pondered long on who to ask about an annoying problem I have
when updating my website and after checking the FAQ have decided
evolt would be a good place.

I use a Mac with OS 9.0.4 to develop pages and then upload them using
Interarchy ftp software to my server. I often end up making many
small changes consecutively and reuploading maybe half a dozen times
before I'm satisfied. So far so good.

The problem comes when I try to check the newly uploaded page - with
Internet Explorer 5, Netscape Communicator 4.74 and even Wannabe,
text-only browser, the web browser often fails to show the new
version of the page. Even Refresh / Reload and Super Reload don't
work.

Then I open up iCab and that also shows the old version, until I hit
Reload, then the new version shows. Then I can also go back and
reload into MIE etc and get the new version of the page.

Naturally I have done things like set the cache to 0Mb, check page
each time etc. This doesn't help.

I'm on a cable modem with fixed IP address.

I don't know whether the problem lies with my machine, my cable
connection, my ISP or the server where the site is hosted.

Does this problem afflict others? Any suggestions on how / where to
begin the troubleshooting?

<tip type="accessibility" author="Miraz Jordan">
Use the Bobby validator to check that your pages are accessible to all:
http://www.cast.org/bobby/
</tip>

Cheers,

Miraz

--
"One does not sleep during the cooking. It could lead to error."
-- Delenn - Babylon 5, Confessions and Lamentations