[thelist] [ASP] Need some help saving a record

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sun Nov 5 16:32:29 CST 2000

> So in the form, I'm looping thru the database (with a filter), and putting
> up a text box.  To make this work, I had to give each textbox a unique name,
> so I appended the skill code to it.
>
> Now, I have "skilldesc1", "skilldesc18", "skilldesc19", etc being passed
> from the form, and I haven't got a clue how to save them to the database.
> Ideally, I'd be able to 'strip' the skillcode part, find that code in the
> database, and update the description with whatever the user has typed into
> that particular text box.
>
> Of course, there may be (and probably is) a better way of doing all this,
> and I need some pointers.

I'm pretty sure there is. I'm not sure why you are changing the name of the
form field. Why not:

<input type="skillcode" value="<%Response.Write skillcodefromDB%>">
<input type="text" name="skilldesc" value="<%Response.Write
skilldescfromDB%>">

Or, are you allowing the user to update multiple descriptions at one time?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com