[thelist] Also Looking for a New Host

Richard H. Morris richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 14:27:05 CST 2000

Hello All,

We're having some operational problems with our current providers.

I am therefore reluctantly looking at moving our entire portfolio over to a
new host.  This would include some 108 domains, c. 25+ web sites, and at
least three dial-up accounts if possible.

Traffic/bandwidth is reasonably low - less than ½GB per month on any of
them - and our only other web hosting requirements are NT servers with
FrontPage 2000 Extensions to allow some of our Clients to update their own
content.  Physical size is also small - less than 50MB in total, I'd
estimate.

*The host must be based or operated from the UK* as we need to be able to
have telephone support at times that suit us - we're UK-based too.

We also need to be able to sue in the UK Courts if anything goes seriously
wrong...

We do not have our own IP/ISP Tags so that we would need our new hosts to
handle domain name registration in the .uk and .com namespaces for us.

Ideally we'd have our own designated server: our current provider managed to
get a virus which wasn't picked up by its AV package.  This migrated its way
through all the web servers, taking out (repeatedly) eight of our web
sites...

Another wrinkle is that we'd need some form of open SMTP mail server so that
we and our Clients could send and receive e-mail whilst connecting with a
variety of ISPs worldwide.

Any recommendations?

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
Richard H. Morris, Director, Web Designers Ltd
        http://www.web-designers.co.uk
        Registered in England No 3506389
                  Registered Office:
3 Church Street Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0PH
                   Trading Address:
  4 Maden Close Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0UA
               T: +44 (0)1953 606158
               F: +44 (0)1953 606185