[thelist] looking for serious hosting

Jacob Stetser icongarden at icongarden.com
Mon Nov 6 17:03:23 CST 2000

I don't mean to start anything, but I've worked with sites on CIHost before and so have several people I know. Their technical support and their speed are both extremely slow.

I'm not sure of their prices lately, but the latest victim (that I know) of their appeal has told me they are reasonable. However, given how slow their servers have been in my experience, coupled with the fact that their technical support is slow and usually ineffectual, I couldn't recommend them.

Anecdote: I wrote a small PHP upload script for the friend  in question and we discovered that the upload limit for PHP was 2 MB. That setting is easily changeable in php.ini. Perl, on the other hand, was set with an upload limit of 10 MB.

Tech support refused to change that setting for parity between the two environments, saying it would 'break scripts' (not bloody likely), and that we should consider a dedicated host if we want to change it. I've administered a PHP installation before and changing the upload limit will not break scripts. Most likely the admins are using default Red Hat installs and rpms and have no idea how to change it.

Do you want to host with someone like that?