[thelist] mSQL data lose/NULL Records

Steven Stalzer steve at newmediacreations.com
Tue Nov 7 11:24:50 CST 2000

I know we have mySQL and thought about upgrading, but I'm not sure if all of the
Perl scripts would have to be rewritten yet. I *THINK* the mysql Perl API is
very similar, but not sure if its available on our host. Have you found mySQL to
be more reliable? Our database right now is only about 1.2 MB, and I understand
that the possibility for corruption in mSQL is high when it gets over 10MB or
so, which won't be for several months.

I have dumped, cleaned up, dropped all tables and indices, and rebuilt the
database already once, but not sure this is really a good long term solution.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experience with corrupted
mSQL or mySQL databases, and/or can compare the two for reliability. I realize
that mySQL has significantly more functionality, but it's integrity of data I'm
most concerned with right now. Thanks.
--
Steven Stalzer, CTO
www.townvalues.com

> If you have the option, move to mySQL. Its 1000% better. I've used both and
have
> found mySQL a ton better. Have you tried dropping your indexes and rebuilding
them?
> How much total data are you holding in your tables? Maybe you should have the
logs
> dumped to a text file, then parsed and inserted into the tables on a daily
basis.