[thelist] Table Background Question

Jason Morehead jmorehead at alphalincoln.com
Wed Nov 8 09:06:33 CST 2000

>I have a large 800x600 background image and I put it as the
>background of a large table and then made a number of nested tables
>to position the pictures and text where I want them over the
>background.
>
>It looks great in IE, but in Netscape 4.X the background image is
>repeated in each nested table making the whole thing rather screwy
>looking with the background image starting over in multiple places
>withing the large table.  Why is Netscape doing this, and is there a
>way around it?

ah yes, netscape's background bug.  i ran into that just yesterday
with a site i'm working on.  you want the background to show through
the tables (but don't want the nested tables to have their own
backgrounds), you could specify a background for each of the nested
tables, using a transparent .gif.  backgrounds inside nested tables
will override the background of the table those tables are nested in.
unfortunately, the same can't be said for using background colors
inside a nested table.  does that make sense?

it's buggy and bloated, i know, but it does work.

jason
--
http://www.alphalincoln.com/
alphagraphics of nebraska - web services