[thelist] Is this spam or not?

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 08:18:49 CST 2000

I received some Spam today which I consider Spam, but which bore the
following footnote:

"Under Bill s.1618 Title III passed by 105th U. S. Congress this mail can
not be considered Spam as long as we include contact information
mailing list reply with remove in the subject heading. "

According to this Spam, I have now broken U.S. law by considering the
aforementioned Spam to be Spam.  Or have I?  Is there such a law?  Not that
I give 2 hoots about breaking U.S. laws, but I'm rather curious.

George Dillon

FWIW. The Spam was from 'a140497 AT infovia.com.ar' (KWIM) and it was about
how to avoid radiation from cell phones.

BTW. Did I mention that it was Spam?

<tip type="freeware">

Just out - an amazing new FREEWARE app called SpyGuru

http://ilia.reznik.home.mindspring.com/spyguru.htm

I don't normally do this - recommend programs I haven't tried out myself for
at least a month - but IMHO this is a truly exceptional example of FREEWARE
at its very best.

Here is how it describes itself:

<snip>

This program integrates many features of famous Spy++, NT-PerfMon, PView,
Monitor, Norton Utilities for Windows-9x, Agent, Capture, MemTurbo, etc,
contains friendly hex editor. In addition, it has a lot of unique
properties.

The application contains quite powerful Task Manager allowing termination of
processes, releasing DLL, getting information about modules used by process,
it's environment, windows of process. It allows capture windows and menus.
Programmer or system administrator can study history or time-dependence of
not only usual performance counters but near arbitrary value which can be
measured as long integer number from inside address space of selected
process. You can easy investigate changes in file system or in the registry.

Unlike a majority of utilities of such a kind the SpyGuru works both under
Windows 9x and Windows NT.

</snip>

</tip>