[thelist] Penalties

aphelan (Andrea Phelan) aphelan at confederationc.on.ca
Thu Nov 9 09:51:54 CST 2000

As for penalties, I have never put them to use, I have never really found
not having content to cost me money though, if I run out of work to do, I
simply halt production. As a general rule, I set a deadline for content from
the client, and a deadline for contract completion, and the contract
completion date is pushed back as the content receival is delayed.

A Solution:

I find this little trick to be very effective, since I started implementing
it I have been getting content about 80% more faithfully than prior to.

Only ask for a little bit of content at a time. Often a client finds it very
discouraging to view all at once all of the content they have to deliver,
alot of clients go into the project expecting you to do all the work. At the
beginning, hand them an overview of all the content that will be needed, but
then set little dates. Tell them one day that you will need the content for
'section 1' at the end of the week, and at the end of that week, ok, i'll
need the content for 'section 2' by the end of the week, pacing this to
whatever your deadline is. Its a little bit of client psychofreeky. They
tend to put off developing content when its one big task, as opposed to many
little tasks :)

Annie

>I'm having an incredibly hard time
getting some clients to deliver content in a timely manner and it's costing
me money in the long run by halting productivity.