[thelist] When life and coding are incompatible...?

Katherine Spice k.spice at acu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 10:50:13 CST 2000

Hi Ben,

> Just wanted to know:  how do y'all on the list preserve your ability to
> drive a train of thought when this happens?

well, i'm not sure about how to drive a train of thought under stressful
conditions, but I wanted to point out that you need to take especially
good care of yourself at times like this, else you'll end up getting ill
(and thereby making the deadline harder = more stress = more ill etc.
etc.).

Get plenty of rest - even if you're not sleeping too good, take time to
veg in front of the telly, read a book, meditate, have a long bath.  if
you must stay up late working, get one early night for every late one
(and sleeping all weekend doesn't count - studies show this can leave
you feeling worse - like a kinda jetlag). a milky drink b4 bed can make
you drowsy - a natural alternative to sleeping pills

Cut down on caffeine (coffee, tea, coke + chocolate) - i know it's no
fun, but it will help you sleep better and not weaken your immune
system.

Eat properly. Try to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (not at your
desk!), at regular times - and don't eat for at least an hour before
bed. if you're not getting enough vitamins and minerals (fruit +
veggies) take a supplement - it's not as good, but better than nothing.
Eat high energy foods like pasta, bread, bananas and avoid too much
processed sugar.

A regular form of moderate exercise 30-60 minutes a day is good for
keeping your body in good condition (and better able to fight off
germs). yoga is great for relaxing or walk to the shops in your lunch
hour (be sure to take some time away from your desk each day).

Lecture over!  I don't manage all this myself btw (i'm no saint :-), but
working on a recent project (which was more pressurized that my normal
stuff) I managed to make myself sick, and the above is a potted version
of GP advice + common sense.

hope it works out ok.
take care,
Katherine