[thelist] BG images in cells in NN

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Nov 10 16:41:21 CST 2000

> After much re-doing I finally got them all to work. It ended up being the
> file name of the gif that was doing it (as far as I could tell -- that's
> what worked). In my testing I wasn't able figure out what the offending
> names were.

that is truly wacky. If you are able to pin it down let us know.
I can confirm having had problems using _images with transparency_ as
table backgrounds before (in netscape).
So that's something to check for.

When testing this kind of thing, also bear in mind that in Netscape if
something breaks -like a table background- earlier on in a page, other
table backgrounds (that would otherwise be ok) may also be broken. This
is kind of voodoo - I can reproduce this behaviour with radio background
colors for example - but it's something I've had trouble with off and on
with other things. The lessson is to test the most reduced case - single
out exactly what you are testing and put that and that only on a page.

Sorry this is a little fluffy :)

> Are there certain names (or characters) that one shouldn't use when
> assigning background images to cells in Netscape?

I'm sticking my neck out and saying no, provided they are valid
filenames, it should make no difference.

Sam