[thelist] frames disappearing/collapsing in IE

Joanna.N.Goslicka at aero.org Joanna.N.Goslicka at aero.org
Fri Nov 10 18:05:36 CST 2000

this particular site  is using frames which work fine in
Netscape but disappear in Internet Explorer.

they used Front Page for those pages - but as far as i can tell there is
no code weirdness.

what happens is this: in IE, unless the window is maximized, the frame
pages
collapse so that only the top and bottom banners show.  The left column,
and the
largest frame, where text appears, are gone.
Maximizing the window does fix it (sometimes), but the window must remain
maximized.

On Microsoft's help page, I did find some reference to this problem.  MS
suggests
making sure there is NO code between the HEAD and FRAMESET of the document.
those pages don't have any code there, so that didn't help.

MS also suggests removing the BODY tag.   The one time I did this, I
assumed they
meant the BODY tags from the FRAME PAGE html code (as opposed to the BODY
tags on the individual pages that go into the frames).  I tried it, and the
result was
that the page was viewed as collapsed whether I maximized the view or not.
So,
neither solution worked and I've never come across another solution.

Short of redoing all our web pages to eliminate frames, are there any
fixes?

thanks!
jo