[thelist] htaccess and subdirectories

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Fri Nov 10 22:46:34 CST 2000

I have set up htaccess and it functioning very well except for one
detail.

We have a subdirectory within our site that is protected.  When a link
to that area is clicked, the authentication challenge is presented.  We
have two levels of access: first level lets the user see a listing of
all subdirectories (mini-sites) within the directory and select one of
those links to the subdirectories, second level redirects the user to
one of the subdirectories and lets them see nothing else.  If you are a
level one user all is well, you authenticate one time and the page is
displayed, select a subdirectory link and you go there.  If you are
level two user, the authentication challenge is presented twice.  The
user gets the right page but has to enter uid/pw two times.

I have read documentation and how-to's 'till my eyes are bleeding!!!!
found no solution.

Can any of you wonderful wizards shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
Ron D.