[thelist] Sendmail and Perl mystery

Dan Winchester dan at freelancers.net
Sat Nov 11 11:29:05 CST 2000

Hi,

I have written a forum which takes mail delivered to sendmail and pipes
it into a perl script which drops the contents into a database for later
distribution.

The script seems to be executing from start to finish with no problems,
but then it leaves an instance of perl running. Eventually I get tens of
instances running, which I have to kill off manually. I'm piping other
mails into scripts without this happening.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Or does anyone have any
tips on where to start looking for the cause? I'm not overly experienced
in this area so feel free to be patronising.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Here is the script:
http://www.ukshopsearch.com/script.txt

BTW, OS is Redhate Linux 6.2.