[thelist] Re: MS Access query

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Thu Nov 16 19:14:34 CST 2000

Rudy & all,

Thanks, but there is no set min length.
I found a solution: use the InStr function:

  SELECT Table1.Title
  FROM Table1, Table2
  WHERE InStr(1,Table2.Title,Table1.Title,1) > 0

Syntax: InStr([start, ]string1, string2[, compare])
Returns the position of the 1st occurrence of one string within another

> Table2.Title may have additional text in parentheses
> at the end.  For example:
>
> Table1.Title = "The cow jumped over the moon"
> Table2.Title = "The cow jumped over the moon (really)"

hi david

if the two strings really are the same at the front, all you have to do
is
determine the minimum length you want them to be equal, then use the
microsoft access Left$ function

  SELECT Table1.Title
    FROM Table1, Table2
   WHERE Left$(Table1.Title,21) = Left$(Table2.Title,21)

adjust 21 to the minimum length you want

rudy
r937.com