[thelist] Javascript - Browser detection

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Mon Nov 20 02:27:01 CST 2000

Hi Listees

I have a JavaScript which detects the users browser and incorporates
different style sheets depending on the browser.
The four different style sheets I have at the moment are for:
    Windows: Internet Explorer
    Windows: Netscape
    Mac: Internet Explorer
    Mac: Netscape

This has been fine so far, however with the new browsers, IE 5 and Netscape
6, I feel that I now need at least 2 other options for the Mac:
    Mac: Internet Explorer 5 and above
    Mac: Netscape 6 and above

and possibly:
    Windows: Netscapte 6 and above.

By adding these extra options will provide me with more control, but I am
not sure how to add this extra detection into the JavaScript I use at the
moment.  Are there any JavaScript Guru's who could help me add a small bit
of code for this extra detection.

The script I use at the moment is:

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
    if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4) {
        var IE4 = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") > 0);
        var NN4 = (navigator.appName == "Netscape");
        var OS;
        if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Win") > 0) OS = "Windows";
        if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") > 0) {OS = "MacOS";}
        switch (OS) {
            case "Windows":
                if (IE4 > 0) document.write ("<LINK href='ie.css'
rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'");
                if (NN4 > 0) document.write ("<LINK href='nn.css'
rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'");
                    break;
            case "MacOS":
                if (IE4 > 0) document.write ("<LINK href='iemac.css'
rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'");
                if (NN4 > 0) document.write ("<LINK href='nnmac.css'
rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'");
                break;
            }
        }