[thelist] Director - Execute outside .exe file?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Nov 20 13:44:44 CST 2000

At 9:10 AM 11/20/0, Mark Gregor wrote:
> I've been poking around in Director 8, but haven't gotten very far.
> Anyone have any pointers on how to link to and execute .exe files?

It's definitely possible for a Director standalone application to activate
other applications, although you'll usually find more questions arise as a
result of this. (Finding the other app, installing if necessary, sending it
a document, telling it to close, passing other info back and forth, etc.)

The Lingo Dictionary contains the core info in its "open" entry, and I'd
definitely recommend searching the Macromedia Director Technotes with
keyword "open" for more.

(Sidenotes: We can activate applications from standalones, but not from
browsers due to sandbox security. Although a Macromedia Flash Player
standalones can hack this via the FSCommand, it doesn't apply to as many
situations as with the larger Director Projector.)

jd