[thelist] Silent Form in ASP

Joel Morris joelm at citycent.com
Mon Nov 20 18:58:50 CST 2000

I've got two different jobs coming up where I need to pass information from
an HTML form to an ASP page for some processing, and then send the form info
onto another page for user action or for additional processing.

Example:

Page1.htm: HTML form, user selects a type of payment (cash or credit card)
in an option/select field.

Page2.asp: an ASP page - if the user selects "credit card", continue on with
the shopping cart (Page3A.asp). If they select "cash" then capture the data
into the database and route to a regular HTML page (Page3B.htm).

In this instance, how do I get the info from Page2.asp to Page3A.asp? I
can't use Session Variables because it will go across different servers. I
can't use the "GET" method (append the info the URL) because there is too
much information.

I don't want to create a form with hidden fields and another "Submit" button
because it would be counter-intuitive to the user and kludgey.

An analogous problem would be: how do you create a form/script entirely with
<input type=hidden name=name value=value> and no "Submit" button and have
the info passed to the next page/script via Method=Post?

I hope I'm making sense here (and that I haven't embarrassed myself by
overlooking something patently obvious).

I await enlightenment from the wise ones.

Joel Morris
CityCenter Co.
Web Development & Marketing
mailto:joelm at citycent.com