[thelist] UK: Disability Discrimination and Web Site Design

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Thu Nov 23 07:46:24 CST 2000

> I have contacted the DDA Helpline and they have promised to come back to me
> with some guidance as to whether web sites are included.
>
> The Act itself is not helpful from my first blush reading of it, but the
> Code of Practice seems interesting: I need to read it some more.
>
> The Code is available at http://www.disability.gov.uk/dda/finalcode.pdf for
> those interested/affected.
>
> I'll report back.

I also think this is an issue which we need to address.  I have recently
started to redesign a government department (or sorta governemnt we are at
'arms lenth' - whatever that means :o) ) web site, and I am keen for it to
be fully accessible but visually appealing.

My first design did not specify a font size, I wanted let the user define
their own font size or have their default browser font size.  This was so
that those who needed/required/wanted large font sizes were able to increase
the size with no problems.

However, my boss does not like the default PC font size on most browsers, he
thinks it is too big and insists that I make it smaller.  My reaction was to
explain about accessibility, but he was insistant saying that if needed we
can add pages to the site later for those who wanted more control
themselves!!!! >:o(

I have spent lots of time looking at what is the best way to control font
sizes, but still giving users some control.  NOT easy!!!

I have read that many articles about:

    'Only use pt for font size'
    'never use pt for font size'
    'only use em for font size'
       'never use em for font size'
    'only use % for font size'
    'never use % for font size'

My head is realing with all the contradictory advice regarding font size and
accessibility, and I am still non the wiser!:o(

I think I might use % as it seems to be the one element that still gives
users some control themselves. But if anyone has any better advice I am all
ears!!

I think it is important that these issues are dealt with as soon as possible
because it could eventually affect all of us.  I have downloaded the
Disability Discrimination Act, Code of Conduct and will read it as soon as I
get a chance.  Like Richard I will report on anything I find out.

Zoe