[thelist] UK: Disability Discrimination and Web Site Design

Zoe Oughton zoe.oughton at btconnect.com
Thu Nov 23 09:08:50 CST 2000

> Zoe,
>
> If it's a government site, you will want to look into IAG (Information Age
> Government)
> http://www.iagchampions.gov.uk/iagc/guidelines/websites/websites.htm
>
> I've just been through the whole shebang with http://www.qca.org.uk/ (just
> went live last night.)
> Also speak to the RNIB, they're VERY helpful.

I've just looked at the QCA site - lovely on my Mac in IE 5, and I can see
everything on Mac IE 4.5 (although the tables do seem a bit messed up), but
I cannot change the size of the font.  If I had poor vision and needed large
text I would be angry at not being able to enlarge it to my requirements!!

On Mac NN 4.7 with default settings I cannot read any of the text it is far
too small.  I can however adjust the text size by going into the prefs, but
even so there is some text that will not enlarge and remains impossible to
read.  NN6 Mac seems to render the text reasonably, but things are a little
weird!! the rollovers work, but are very slow, and the scroll is funny!!!!
strange,,,, but may very likely be the fault NN6.

I haven't looked at any of it on a PC, but I take it that you have already
checked everything on a PC.

I am not critiquing your site, just hilighting a few of the very problems
that I am trying to address.

This is a nightmare of a situation really, we designers want some control
over the way our sites work/look, but we also need to provide some user
control yet without forcing them to make changes they shouldn't have to!!

Ohhhh, what to do..... what to do...!!   :-(

I have looked at the RNIB site.

Zoe