[thelist] individual health insurance

Michael Collins mcollins206 at home.com
Thu Nov 23 11:42:51 CST 2000

At 8:38 AM -0800 11/21/00, A. Erickson wrote:
>  In order to do that, though, I'll need to set
>up my own health insurance. Anyone have any recommendations or personal
>experience to share on that?

WA state, where I live, has been having a health care crises and it
is very expensive and difficult to find health insurance as a small
business with no group plan. You almost have to be with some company
or other. I found one plan at the National Association for the
Self-Employed. http://www.nase.org/ but it was over $500 a month with
a huge annual deductible and high copays.

Believe it or not, if you have a Costco in your area and you get an
executive membership you can sign up for group health insurance. In
WA State it is with First Choice Health, I don't know if it is the
same elsewhere since health insurance is always state by state. I
thought at first it was funny to shop for health insurance at Costco
but the whole family was covered last year for roughly $350 a month
(if you are younger it will be less). It really paid off as office
visits were $10 copay a visit, the hospital deductible is only $100
per day and all tests and procedures are covered. Medications were
covered as well with a lower price if you got it at Costco. There is
no annual deductible which is great. For example, we paid $300 for my
wife's entire pregnancy, including pre and post natal care, hospital
expenses, and a Cesarian birth. We also are allowed to choose our own
Doctor from a very wide list, including some that have been rated as
the best pediatricians and Family care practitioners in Seattle.

Unfortunately, this year First Choice realized how much this was
costing and Costco had to raise their rates 20% and office visits are
now $20. It is still a good deal compared to other options.

Michael
--

_/ _/ _/ _/ Michael Collins
_/ _/ _/    Equinox Enterprises