[thelist] Online Portfolio

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 10:20:14 CST 2000

I can't resist answering your post Annie because I'm currently working on a
book,which is concerned with the strategy of creating an effective Web
presence.

In the world of the Internet, a personal Web site is the equivalent of a
physical presence in the real world. Probably the best way to look at this
is to see your Web site as you - going to an interview for a job, or,
visiting a potential client to seek work. The only difference is that you
have to anticipate the interviewers questions and provide suitable
satisfactory answers.

Just as you wouldn't show up at an interview in flashy clothes, so it
wouldn't be wise to have a flashy or gimmicky Web site.

The main objective of the Web site would be to prove to any prospective
employer (or outsourcing manager) that you are somebody they can trust to
do the work they want doing. The most pathetic way of doing this is to list
all your skill sets and the applications you are experienced with.
Unfortunately, the Internet is rife with charlatans and pretenders. If you
list your attributes without proof, they will be treated with skepticism.

Whatever you are good at should be exampled on your Web site. If you are
not good at something don't pretend (programmers and writers can have
crappy looking Web sites). In this way, your Web site will reflect the real
you and your actual capabilities and it would be obvious to any viewer the
benefits you have to offer. A smart way to do this is to set up your Web
site as a tutorial, showing others how to do the things you can do.

If you are a Web designer, a good example for you to look at might be Ruth
Arnold's (a twenty four year old girl from Manchester in the UK):

www.spacehoppa.com

If you are an illustrator or artist, a good example might be Dave West's
Web site at:

www.Charizma.co.uk

I am sure others can point you to many other good examples.

peter
http://www.petersmall.net