[thelist] Netscape 6 - mouseover test

Peter-Paul Koch ppk at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 27 13:16:23 CST 2000

OK, as most of you will have heard Netscape 6 has severe problems with
pre-loaded mouseovers. I've done a first test and I have no idea what to
make of the results.

But first, I'd like to ask you to do the test and see if the results on
your computer are the same as on mine:

1) Go to http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/preload/. WinNT users, please activate
your Task Manager.
2) Do absolutely *nothing* while the page loads (there are 12 images of 6K
each, so it may take a little while).
3) When the page is ready, roll your mouse over the coloured bit. Now you
should see a mouseover that executes fairly well, just as it should do
(maybe a bit slow).
4) Shift-Reload the page and now *don't* wait for the end of loading but
start mousing over the images immediately. Now you should see a very slow
and erratic mouseover. In addition, WinNT users will see that NN6 uses
about 60% of CPU time (compared to about 15% in the first test).

If you get some wildly different results, please let me know. Linux tests
are welcome.

So if my test results are correct, it means that mouseovers may not be
executed *before* all of the images involved in it have been loaded. The
only problem is, we already tried to write such a script and it helped a
bit, but not enough.

Anyway, please do the test and let me know if you see something completely
different.

ppk

PS: Please CC me, I read the digest