[thelist] ODBC Text File Driver and ASP

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Nov 27 19:56:15 CST 2000

Simon Davies wrote:

> Hi
>
> Why do you need to drop the table? If you need to clear its rows why not use
> Truncate instead. You would still have to drop the indexes if they are
> slowing the upload though.

Simon....

We are updating product delivery data daily (6 tables with a total of 800K rows) for
our client that is being used by a Web based application. Because the data is only
updated in bulk: we drop the tables, re-create the tables, load the data, then
rebuild the indexes. According to my research this reduces "fragmentation" of the
tables and garbaging up the indexes by building them after all the data is loaded
versus being updated during the bulk load.

Besides according to the documentation I've unearthed on BulkCopy and BULK INSERT,
having indexes on the target table(s) are either not supported or will slow the load
considerably. Speed is VERY important in this process and building the indexes after
the data is loaded makes the overall process faster.

--
Anthony Baratta
President