[thelist] evolt get-together in toronto

rudy Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Fri Dec 1 14:26:46 CST 2000

everyone in or near toronto is invited to a special evolt pre-holiday
get-together on wednesday december 13 (alternate date: friday the 15th),
time 7 pm or thereabouts, location to be determined, but definitely on the
subway line -- if anyone has a suggestion for a location, please let me
know, it should have both smoking and non-smoking areas, a wide selection
of alcoholic beverages, i.e. not like that idiotic microbrewery i was in
earlier this week, where they didn't even carry molson's ex, eh!

please contact me off list and let me know if you can make it, i will post
a final headcount and location later next week

for all of you unable to attend, i am sorry

<tip type="cold fusion" props="borrowed from allaire, url below">
  By default, CFQUERY will request records from the database one row at a
time. If your query returns 100 rows, it will send 100 individual fetch
requests to the database. As you might imagine, this can be rather slow
and eats up server resources.
  The parameter BLOCKFACTOR specifies the number of rows to request at one
time, and can be set as high as 100. If your page is going to list the
first 15 products, for example, set the blockfactor to 15 and it will
request them all at once. There's no need to set the blockfactor higher
because it will be requesting extra, unnecessary data.
  If you know your query will only return one row, you don't need to
specify a blockfactor at all. If you don't know how many rows your query
will return but you know you need all of them, set the largest blockfactor
possible (i.e., 100), so it will fetch the rows in large blocks.
Regardless, the blockfactor only applies to SELECT statements, not
UPDATES, DELETES, or INSERTS.
     -- http://www.allaire.com/handlers/index.cfm?id=18427&Method=full#7
</tip>

rudy.ca