[thelist] search engine reg q

Chris George chrisgeorge at home.com
Mon Dec 4 01:00:09 CST 2000

Emily,

I don't get the Spanish aunts thing...

Anyway,

Your domain does show up on Altavista:
http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=url%3Awww.colleenjameson.com%2F&kl=
XX&pg=q&Translate=on

(watch for line wrap).

What I would is go to http://www.searchenginewatch.com and go through the
articles and definitely sign up for the monthly newsletter (generally 20-25
pages each month on the status of the main search engines).  Some are going
to a pay-per-listing model, and others (such as Yahoo) are implementing
their $199 'Business Express' listing service to every business who wishes
to request a listing with them.

Have you tried to submit the site in the past?  When a bot or an editor
looks at a site, sometimes an entire domain can be blacklisted forever if
the content is deemed to be spamming or malicious (and that criteria is
really ambidextrous most of the time, esp. in the case of human editors).
Anyway, just a bit of insight if that happened to be the direction you had
gone in.

Some search engines/directories are also reporting upwards of 4 months ETA
on submissions (I can't remember which one(s) off the top of my head though,
sorry).

But, it could also generally be a poorly indexable page...  I don't see
anything glaring from the source, but thought I'd mention that the
page-topic meta tag isn't doing anyone any favors, that I know of.  It's not
a widely recognized meta tag (but I guess I can't see it harming...)...

You might want to pick up a copy of WebPosition Gold, it's a little
expensive, but comes with some really great features (submission tool, page
critic, meta tag checker/maker/optimizer, scheduler, check the competitors,
etc etc).  It's paid for itself 100 fold for me over the past year or so...

Anyway, just my pocket change on the topic...

--Chris