[thelist] dHTML Form Elements && tip re: Disabling the <enter> key to submit a form.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 07:19:37 CST 2000

> From: "jeff" <jeff at lists.evolt.org>
[...]
> i see the point that you're trying to make - the disabling of the enter key.
> however, that's the very point that i'm talking about as well.  you should
> *not* disable the enter key because that's part of the user interface -
> especially when that solution alienates non-js users entirely (an even worse
> problem than an occasional form submitted early).
>
> maybe i'm being a bit blunt but i think your solution (while it certainly
> addresses the scope of the original request) will always do more harm than
> good and should never be used.

i'm with jeff on this one... disabling such a common user interface
element is a bad idea... often this is done because it's more
convenient for the developer, but all it does is hurt the user...

in my opinion, removing the [enter] key is just as bad as removing
the [tab] key, and i think any usability expert would completely
agree...  Nielsen would, Tog would, i have a few papers and books
around here that say it as well...

ultimately, jeff's solution is much better, because it doesn't prevent
someone from doing what they are used to, it simply prompts them
if they haven't completed it...

hell, i get pissed when someone disables the right-click on my
mouse, or removes the 'back' button...