[thelist] Netscape and CSS

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Dec 4 11:18:25 CST 2000

ppk,

> One huge, overwhelming problem with this solution: old Netscape 4's
(around
> 4.05) consider the loading of a page also a resize event. Therefore in the

> oldies you get a page that just keeps on reloading.

	Hmm. Didn't know that, but definitely good to know. So, it is
necessary to sniff for particular versions of Netscape, and not simply
document.layers support. What a pain.

> Absolutely positioned content makes everything far worse, but on the Mac
all
> styles disappear onResize, even your simple font colours. And the reload
> onResize, no, Netscape doesn't do that automatically.

	Maybe the automatic refresh is a Mac/Win32 difference. I just
checked my copy of Netscape Communicator 4.76 on Win32, and it clearly
refreshes the browser any time I resize the window (either by dragging the
window border or by maximizing or restoring the window). This even happens
on a directory listing where I know there is no scripting forcing a refresh.
What a kludge. The fact that Netscape never purged this problem from 4.x, in
my mind, suggests how painfully twisted the source code must have been.

James Aylard