[thelist] Robots.txt

M. Hannan desmoljones at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:04:57 CST 2000

It means you had a visit from a crawler.  It looks for the existence of the
very .txt file you mentioned...robots.txt.  Robots.txt can be used to
encourage or exclude files from being indexed.

It is not failproof, there are some crawlers that ignore robots.txt but they
are, by far, the minority.  Most reputable search engines abide by this.

m@