[thelist] HELP ASP gurus -- random numbers is hard

Eric Miller eric at OAKTREE.com
Tue Dec 5 12:29:50 CST 2000

one trick I read in one of the O'Reilly books is to use the Date() object as
a base for your random numbers.  specifically, the seconds.
The native javascript math.random functions aren't truly random.  so if you
use that in combination with the current minutes and/or seconds as a
multiplier or divisor, you'll get nicely mixed numbers.

I've used it to start an image rotator at a random point:

function rotateImages()	{
if(document.images)		{
roughNm = new Date(); roughNm = roughNm.getSeconds();
document.rotator.src = "/images/" + imageRotator[eval(Math.floor(roughNm /
10))] + ".gif";
window.setTimeout('rotateImages();', 10000);
					}
				}

spammy side note--sho wa jo shu, Amanda!

Eric