[thelist] FW: problems with text field sizing and ie 5.5

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Dec 6 15:41:38 CST 2000

Eric,

> However, IE still refuses to respond to any value I set - it sets the
> textarea to an overly-wide value no matter what I try to do.

	I just ran a quick test to ensure that IE 5.5 respects the cols
attribute as expected, and it does. Is it possible that you already have a
style sheet declaration somewhere (external or otherwise) that is fixing the
textarea's width? This is what it sounds like is happening. If you have no
style sheets dictating a width value for your textarea, the cols value
should work properly. Do you have a URL?

hth,
James Aylard