[thelist] create synonym

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Wed Dec 6 18:52:30 CST 2000

O, database gurus --

Our database admin (who manages our whopping great Informix database)
suggested that I look into synonyms for a project that I'm working on. The
hitch is that we're using SQL Server for our web stuff, and I can't find any
references to synonyms on the MSDN site or in our SQL Server books.

I've read the basics on synonyms in the Informix manuals and I think I
understand the concept (and it might work for what I'm doing), but before I
go too far with it, does anyone know if SQL Server even supports this
object? Have any of our Oracle friends ever used them (that seems to be the
only other RDBMS that uses them)?

Tanxamil
Dave