[thelist] Netscape 6 loads page twice

Rob Keniger rob at bigbang.net.au
Thu Dec 7 07:58:38 CST 2000

on 7/12/00 11:13 PM, aardvark at roselli at earthlink.net wrote:

> my guess is that if they don't work in Netscape6, then they aren't
> coded very well...

This is not necessarily true. Many pages coded using DHTML that required
workarounds or hacks to work in Netscape 4.x will break in version 6. It's
not Netscape 6's fault - it is the fault of the 4.x Netscape versions and
their buggy CSS/DOM implementation.

These pages require recoding.

> fix them so they work in N6, and you probably will extend their life,
> and ensure that they are coded reasonably well... don't blame N6
> for supporting standards, especially if your own projects don't...

Fair enough, but some features of the previous browsers *require* you to use
features that are not part of the W3C recommendation. Ever used a name
attribute on an image to create a rollover? Boom, your page will not
validate. The spec calls for ID attributes on images.

--

Rob Keniger

big bang solutions

<mailto:rob at bigbang.net.au>