[thelist] Netscape 6 loads page twice

Jamie Madden jamie at bayou.com
Thu Dec 7 08:58:22 CST 2000

Personally, I think we as developers are in a particularly excellent
position to steer the public towards standards.  I say build STRICTLY for
standards and let the browser developers worry about rendering your
page.  Maybe we should unionize so that we can strong arm browser
manufacturers into building standards compliant browsers.  I know it's far
fetched.  We as an artistic group tend to avoid anything that sounds as if
it might reduce our freedom in some way.  Think of how terrified Bill would
be if all of the developers in the world unionized and said we will code
strictly to standards and therefore not utilize your extensions,
modifications, etc.  Nah, I guess he wouldn't really be scared.  He'd just
buy someone at the w3c and get all of his crap passed as standard.  Thing
is as long as you coddle an ignorant public they will not attempt to
upgrade to a standards compliant browser.  Yes, I said ignorant, because
for the most part they are.  I don't harbor any contempt for them (well,
not much) that's just the way it is.

If we had a little solidarity we could crush browser problems.  One other
thing though.  Be very afraid of Netscape's death.  A completely M$
internet is a scary, scary thing.

In the end:  In a perfect world do the right thing and let the public
conform to it...in our world conform to the public right or wrong.  sad,
sad, sad.

I know I owe a tip for this.  I promise to add one later today.

jamie