[thelist] Netscape 6 loads page twice

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:30:11 CST 2000

> > It's partly a question of conservatism: web developers don't change
>their
> > scripts if it isn't necessary (if browsers continue to support NAME), so
> > browsers can't ignore NAMEs or else the scripts won't work any more.
>
>	...and we must remember that Netscape's decision not to provide
>backwards-compatibility for most of Netscape 4.x's proprietary DOM was not
>the result of a high-minded crusade for standards-compliance, but due to
>time and cost restraints. And this lack of support for Netscape's prior
>proprietary features is arguably, IMO, its greatest weakness.

Hmmm...I never quite thought of it that way, but you certainly have a point.
On the whole I'm very glad we're rid of bloody document..layers, though.

>	Creating a standards-compliant browser does not require that browser
>to no longer support non-compliant features.

This is also a truth too easily forgotten by people who are lured by the
promise of standards into denouncing everything non-standard.

Maybe that's the biggest problem: not the standards themselves but the
people who think that the standards are the solution to everything and don't
see they need to be applied with caution and good sense.

Anyway, this discussion will probably last as long as browsers don't quite
support the standards (ie. always). There's no easy right or wrong here.

ppk