[thelist] philosophising (designers and propeller-heads)

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Thu Dec 7 23:04:45 CST 2000

At 05:39 PM 12/7/2000 -0900, McCreath_David said something remarkably like
(but somehow subtly different from):
>In light of a few comments made today (my own included) regarding designers
>vs propeller-heads, I found this an interesting little broadside:
>
><wrap>
>http://www.jamie.com/archive/2000_11_26_index.html#1492000
></wrap>

Interesting article, David. I found myself wondering why exactly the
spatial metaphor is bogus. I am trying to figure out whether that is really
insightful, or just silly.

>Is my view jaundiced by the company I keep? I'm not saying that the days of
>stupid UI design are over, not by a long shot; there will always be
>half-assed designers and half-assed coders, but it really seems to me like
>the is a subtle shift away from just making the sites work (programming) to
>making the sites usable (design). Again, I don't think the line can be drawn
>as starkly as that, but it's interesting to think about...

I hope you are right, but I have not seen any signs of it. On many Web-site
lists, just mentioning usability can start a fight.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/
"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
                     G.K. Chesterton