[thelist] Opera browser- now with a (free) new version

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri Dec 8 04:20:10 CST 2000

martin,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
:
: Um not the virii which are scripting in the
: damn email.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

still the fault of the user - not the email client.  scripting within an
email can have it's uses (no matter how much it may be annoying).  it's up
to the user to have their security set up in such a way as to prevent
scripts from running.  script executing in the message is also a problem
that eudora has so let's not point the finger just at outlook.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: It's not as idiotic as opening attachments.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ignoring security concerns when first setting up your email client *is* as
idiotic as opening a suspect attachment.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Given that MS had to release a damn patch
: plugging a damn hole the size of a bus, it's
: not as much of a 'you must be stupid to get
: infected' thing. The virii which have affected
: me this year have *all* been Outlook specific.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and you could have gotten those virii just as easily using eudora.  it comes
down to user responsibility.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: So yeah, I have Eudora now with all scripting (and
: HTML display) turned off at home.

... the responsible thing to do.

thanks,

.jeff