[thelist] Networking: Localhost AND the net?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Dec 8 15:28:52 CST 2000

>  Diagnosis will be greatly simplified if you post the
>  following information:

Thank you! I honestly didn't know what information to offer. I thank
you all for you patience with me. Networking is the one topic is
still find myself blindingly ignorant about.

>  IP address of all three machines (Are they static or
>  dhcp?) Does your modem have a single IP address bound to
>  it? If so, is the Mac doing network address translation?

Mac1:     24.43.66.191   Mask: 255.255.255.128 (with Softrouter)
Mac2:     192.168.232.2  Mask: 255.255.255.0
PC:       192.168.232.4  Mask: 255.255.255.0

>  Please post all the relevant networking info from the
>  PC. This info can be gotten by running winipcfg at the
>  command prompt (if the box is running Win 95 or 98) or
>  ipconfig (if the box is running NT or 2000). If the
>  machine is running Windows 3.1, then god help you soul.

Windows 98

HostIinformation
----------------------
HostName: localhost.localhost.com
DNS Servers: 127.0.0.1
Node Type: Broadcast

NetBiosScopeId:
IP routing enabled:
WINS Proxy enabled:
NetBios Resolution Uses DSN: Yes

Ethernet Adapter Info
----------------------
The PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Adapter Address: 00-48-54-3A-32-4F
IP Address: 192.168.232.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.232.1
DHCP Server:
Primary WINS Server:
Secondary WINS Server:
Lease Obtained:
Lease Expired:

>  Also, try running a Traceroute our from the PC so we can
>  see what the machine is trying to do. From the command
>  prompt run "tracert www.yahoo.com"

DOS Box pops up. Hub lights for the PC flashes, I get a little bit of
send from the cable modem, Mac1 and Mac2 flash on the hub I can't
detect a pattern. A results appears, but only one line, and the DOS
box disappears before I have a chance to read it.  (How do I make the
DOS box stay, and not disappear after showing results for more than
one second?)

If I do 127.0.0.1 I wait about 20 seconds, then it reports 1 hop at a
very short time. (it's a slow PC with little memory)

When I ping my two Macs, I get a very very short time (1-5 ms). The
hub lights seem to flash appropriately.

Does this help at all? Is there any other relevant info I've missed?

Thanks!
--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com