[thelist] Networking: Localhost AND the net?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Sat Dec 9 14:08:19 CST 2000

>  I'm going in to the conversation late.....but does Mac2
>  see the internet?? The reason I ask is that that Mac1
>  may have two IP address, and internal and external.

>  Therefore, Mac2's Gateway and Subnet settings should be
>  replicated on the PC. (Which Judah did say.) But if Mac2
>  can't see the internet, then the Mac2 settings will not
>  help.

Oh. Yes, I hadn't thought of that.

>  Another way to say the same thing: If Mac1 does have two
>  IPs, you need to have Mac1's internal address as the
>  default gateway for PC1.

>  Also - does your soft router sofware have NAT enabled?
>  (Judah also mentioned NAT.)

I'll answer you question first, because Judah's requires some
brainwork on my part, I'll be dealing with it on Sunday morning.

Yes, softrouter uses NAT. Basically, your other computers get a
different IP, and softrouter moves everything through the cable IP.
Mac1 and Mac2 talk to each other across AppleTalk, AND both of them
touch the net as well. In softrouter I've told it that Mac2 has an IP
of such, and softrouter goes 'Take this IP, and make it read/write to
the net'.
--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com