[thelist] PHP questions - overwriting and removing spaces

Jason Lustig lustig at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Dec 10 14:40:15 CST 2000

OK... I just started learning PHP, and am rewriting my message boards in
them. So, I have a couple of questions:

Well, I want to be able overwrite lines in a .txt file. For example, say
that a file has this in it:
<snip>
Eggs
Chicken
Milk
Orange Juice
</snip>
and I want to change the "Eggs" to "Apples" without messing with the other
three lines in the file. This is so taht I can edit posts...

Also, for signatures, I am opening up a file in the path
"members/$username/sig.txt", depending on what the $username is. But what
the problem is is that, let's say the username is "Help",
"members/$username/sig.txt" = "members/Help /sig.txt". The problem is the
space after the username... is there a way to conveniently get rid of the
space character? The space is always there for some reason. I just want to
change $username to get rid of the space.

Thanks for any help in advance.

--Jason.

http://www.alternate-universe.org/

*****